I have had an iPhone for over a year now and I must say that it is a great device. Today I’m posting some tips (in no particular order) of things that I have found useful and helpful. Also, I’m (trying) to post this article using the new WordPress application that is now available in the iTunes store (having some parse issues with it though).
Note that some of these tips might not work in the older version (1.x) of the iPhone software.
Let the tips/tricks begin:
- Scroll to Top of Page – if you tap once on the top status bar, where the date and batter are, you will scroll to the top of whatever page you are on. This works in all apps.
- Domain Resolution – in Safari, if the site you want to visit is a .com domain, just type the name in without the .com (e.g., “hightechdad” will resolve to “hightechdad.com”)
- Domain Suffixes – now with the 2.0 software, if you are typing a domain that is not a .com, you can press and hold that .com button and get other options like .net or .org
- Quick Delete – the bulk delete feature is great but did you know that if you swipe left or right on an email message in the view mode, a red delete button will appear in-line?
- Fast Forward/Rewind in Music & Video – pressing and holding the forward or rewind buttons will go forward or backward in your music or video
- Press & Hold for Alternate Characters – if you want to insert a different character, like to type EspaÃ±a, with the tilda, just hold the appropriate character and slide/release to select it.
- Soft Reset – press and hold the Home and Power buttons at the same time for a few seconds and your iPhone will reboot. FYI, you should do this probably once a day. It helps keep your iPhone running a bit quicker, I find.
- Click & Hold URLs – in Safari, if you press and hold a link, you will see the URL and the site name.
- Take a Screenshot – if you want to take a screen capture, press and hold the home button and quickly press and release the power button. Your screen should flash white briefly and the image will be stored in your photo library.
- Parental Controls – under General settings, you can set some parental controls for Lyrics, YouTube, App Store, Safari and others.
Bonus: In the 2.0 firmware, you can press and hold images in Safari or Mail to save images to your photo library.
Are there any others that you have come up with? Post a comment and let me know!
HTD Says: Tips and tricks help you save a tiny bit of time. When you add it all up, you may find time you didn’t have before!