Today Apple released a beta version of Safari for both Macs and Pc’s. I was very eager to try it out especially to see if it truly is “the world’s fastest web browser.” Also intriguing is the “coverflow-esque” feature, an eye candy pleaser.
I downloaded the Mac-version beta from Apple and fired up the installer without much further thought. The install was normal and seemed to go without a hitch. Note: you are prompted to restart your Mac after the install so be sure that you save all your docs, etc.
After reboot, I clicked on the Safari icon in my doc, anticipating a glorious new, sexy version of the browser. The icon bounced…and then I got this “glorious” message instead:
Uh, ok. What’s up with that. I ran the installer and rebooted again…still awaiting the glory. None was to be had! (Meanwhile, I successfully installed Safari on my PC…hmmm, that was a first.) Also, note that the beta version replaces the stable version of Safari 3!
Don’t you just love my “broken” Safari 4?
So, I put on my usual troubleshooting hat and started down the list:
- Rebuilt my permissions â€“ Didn’t fix it!
- Plug-in conflict:
- Disabled Growl via control panel â€“ nope
- Disabled GlimmerBlocker via control panel â€“ no luck (GlimmerBlocker is a free program that blocks banner ads in Safari for Mac)
- Checked other control panel options (When you troubleshoot, you need to think about plug-ins that interact with Safari like 1Password which I updated as well and SpeedDownload which I disabled the Safari integration) â€“ those two were fine.
HERE is where I decided to dig inâ€¦
Safari plug-ins are located in a couple of location: [HARD DRIVE]:Library:InputManagers or sometimes [HARD DRIVE]:Users:[USER NAME]:Library:InputManagers (it might show a previous version of the OS like “InputManagers-Tiger”).
I finally came across the problematic plug-in which was in a folder called /glims/. Glims is actually a pretty slick little program that brings a bunch of nifty features to Safari like “Tabs, Thumbnails, Full Screen, Search Engines, Search Suggestions, Forms autocomplete on, Dated download folders, Type Ahead …” and a bunch of ones. I figured that I would just delete that directory and try to restart Safari. It started just fine. Problem identified and solved!
As of this writing, Glims actually has been updated and had a nice little commentary on their site “We would like to thank Apple for its last version of Safari. For a software that is all out about its stability, we were taken off guard by the last release of Safari 4.”
The Glims release notes also mention the fix for Safari 4 beta:
Hope this fix and troubleshooting process works for you! Please let me know one way or another, or if you encounter other incompatible plug-ins. Remember, if you run into any issues with Safari crashing unexpectedly after running an update, you should go to that “InputManagers” directory and either move or delete plug-ins that you don’t use. Simply moving the folders out of the InputManagers folder is a good process for testing.
HTD Says: don’t despair. There is always a workaround!