With Steve Jobs announcing that he will be stepping down as CEO of Apple, I took some time to reflect on how Steve and Apple have impacted my life as a parent, specifically, a “High Tech Dad.” In my household, Apple products reign. Each of my children use Apple laptops or desktops, and each one has either an iPhone, iPod Touch, iPod Nano or a combination. My wife and I have iPhones and iPads, my primary laptop is a MacBook Pro. And much of our living room entertainment is driven by an AppleTV.
But I wanted to think about how Steve and his vision have positively impacted families around the globe. So I compiled a quick list of hardware and software which, under Steve’s watchful eye, have enriched my and other families everywhere. Sure, I’m an “Apple fan boy” but there are not many other companies or leaders who have had as much of an impact as Apple and Steve have had.
Here’s my list of 10 Things Steve Jobs has done for Parents:
- Brought great computing resources into Schools & Homes – http://education.apple.com/
- Introduced easy ways to manage music and movies for your family via iTunes – http://www.apple.com/itunes/
- Made home movie creation a snap with iMovie – http://www.apple.com/ilife/imovie/
- Connected families via video conferencing with FaceTime – http://www.apple.com/mac/facetime/
- Made home photo management better with facial recognition and geo-location with iPhoto – http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/
- Put music in your and your kids’ pockets with the iPod – http://www.apple.com/ipod/
- Created a safe walled garden for kids to play games and consume Internet content via the App Store – http://www.apple.com/iphone/apps-for-iphone/
- Crafted a revolutionary smart phone that people ages 1 to 100 could understand and use easily – http://www.apple.com/iphone/
- Introduced a tablet designed for all members of the family – http://www.apple.com/ipad/
- Brought out the creativity in us all and inspired us to “Think Different“
What other contributions can you think of? Leave a comment!
HTD says: Thanks Steve for your hard work, innovation and drive to make Apple the success that it is today and will be tomorrow!