We all know how useful Apple’s iPad Air is. It’s great at work, in the home and on the go. So is it possible to extend the iPad’s utilitarian and multi-use functionality? Of course. One way is to get a case that builds in additional functions. Last year, I talked about iGear’s Flip Turn Case and Keyboard for the iPad Mini, and now I got my hands on its “big brother,” the one that iGear designed specifically for the iPad Air.
In many ways, the iGear case and Bluetooth keyboard for the iPad Air is practically identical to the one for the iPad Mini. Common features and functions include:
- Construction – durable polycarbonate hard shell.
- Bluetooth keyboard – soft-touch keyboard that is chargeable via a micro-USB port, and yes, two Shift keys! And there are function keys and a dedicated Home button.
- Swivel & hinge – the power behind this case/keyboard combo is the swivel that lets you rotate the iPad as well as flip it around.
- Protection – when closed, the case protects the iPad Air completely.
- Battery savings – when not in use, the keyboard “smartly” goes into standby mode.
The iGear case/keyboard’s main power comes from the swivel and hinge, providing quite a number of useful viewing angles for content on your iPad Air.
The swivel is uninhibited and turns completely 360 degrees.
When not using the keyboard, you can swivel the iPad around to use it conveniently as just a display. Having the keyboard in the back provides good stability. The hinge allows for any viewing angle.
The swivel allows the top of the case housing the iPad to be folded flat. Yes, it does more than double the thickness of the iPad on its own, but that’s what you get for having a keyboard and a case combined.
Differences from the iGear iPad Mini Case & Keyboard
There are a couple of things that are added to the iGear case for the iPad Air that are not present (unfortunately) on the case for the iPad Mini, specifically a back-lit keyboard and a built-in stylus.
The back-lit keyboard is extremely useful when working in dark environments or using the iGear iPad Flip Turn Case at night (in bed, for example).
The backlighting is definitely bright enough, but do remember, it can burn through the keyboard’s battery a bit faster than without it. The backlight does have adjustments to help with battery conservation.
Another nice addition with the iGear case for the iPad Air is the inclusion of a built-in stylus.
There isn’t anything fancy about this stylus. But, one nice thing is that the stylus fits into the side of the keyboard-side of the case. While some users have reported that the stylus can easily pop out, I have not encountered this issue yet.
My wife has been my primary tester of the iGear iPad Flip Turn Case and she pretty much echoes my thoughts on this case and keyboard combo. In her words:
- Great pivot and maneuvering option. Love that you can flip the screen back and forth depending on where you are resting the iPad – treadmill, desk, bed.
- Heavy duty enough for protection. Sense of confidence when carrying it around.
- Keyboard options are also great. Turning the iPad into a notebook is definitely ideal for students, especially at high school and college level.
- A little too heavy to throw in a bag, carrying case.
- Bluetooth for keyboard sucks the battery too quickly.
The cost for the iGear iPad Flip Turn Case is $129 for the iPad Air version (the iPad Mini case is $99). Interestingly, the iPad Mini case seems to have gone up in prices on their site from the originally listed $79. You can get the iGear iPad Flip Turn Case for the iPad Air on Amazon currently for $119 (Silver version). And if you want the one for the iPad Mini, it’s currently selling for $79 on Amazon.
Overall, if you need a keyboard and case for your iPad Air and you don’t mind the additional weight, the iGear iPad Flip Turn Case is a pretty decent case, with nice added benefits of the back-lit display and included stylus.
Disclosure Text : I have a material connection because I received a gift or sample of a product for consideration in preparing to write this content. I was/am not expected to return this item or gift after my review period. All opinions within this article are my own. More information can be found in my About page.
HTD says: Extending the usefulness of your iPad Air can be easily achieved with the iGear iPad Flip Turn Case – it gets protection, a backlit Bluetooth keyboard, a swivel stand and a stylus, all in one!